About Me

Wells, BC, Canada
Richard is a working photographer and writer in B.C. His camera focuses on natural history. archeology, travel, and documentary photography. His photography blog may be found at: http://richardtwright.blogspot.com/

Monday, February 10, 2014

Nikon D800 viewfinder falling apart!

So here I was in Veletta, Malta, last week, wandering the narrow cobble-stoned streets, gazing upwards at the balconies that hung precipitously from every apartment. I raised my D800 to photograph a statue and ... lo and behold my viewfinder was gone - like gone, disappeared, not there. I was looking at the innards of the camera. Rather scary actually. Momentary panics with 3 weeks of travel left.




However, a quick frame or two and I found that everything still worked. Several thousand miles from home that was good news.
I was here with my son Richard, also a photographer using a D800 and a Mamiya film camera. This journey was his idea and his planning. So, we retraced our steps to the last place we could think it might have fallen out - the street toilet, the sunglasses shop, the cathedral - walking with our heads down scanning the cobblestones, looking like a pair of shorebirds searching for insects. No luck.

Okay, so it works, now we need to keep the dust and possible pigeon poop out of the innards.
Rich comes up with the idea of a post card. We buy one and borrow some scotch tape to cover the opening. Back in business.
That night back at our hotel in St Julian we borrow some stronger packing tape from the front desk and effect another repair. (We have to do this almost daily.) Not pretty but it works.




We came with a more elaborate plan of siliconing a hotel key card and an eyepiece to the back, but could not find silicon.
Then I dropped a note to the LinkedIn Nikon Photographers Group seeking info on this event. No one had heard of such a thing. In fact one chap wondered if I had dropped it - no; and another if it had been treated roughly - no; and finally a suggestion that it was not broken , just the eyepiece removed - another big no.
At the same time I sent off a note to Fixation, the Nikon repair shop in London - where my son lives.
The next morning they had replied. They had ordered the part and would repair it as soon as I reached London. Now that is service!
Tomorrow I take it in for servicing.
The question is, Nikon, why and how did this happen to a $3000 camera?
What breaks next?
Stay tuned for the after servicing post.
The view from our room in St. Julian


No comments:

Post a Comment