About Me

Wells, BC, Canada
Richard is a working photographer and writer in B.C. His camera focuses on natural history. archeology, travel, and documentary photography. His photography blog may be found at: http://richardtwright.blogspot.com/

Friday, February 21, 2014

London Embankment Photo shoot - How to.

I have been in London the last few weeks and one of my projects was night photography along the Embankment, trying to get good night shots of most of the tourist and historical attractions. My favorite night was Tuesday when my granddaughter Annabelle joined me. She is interested in photography and has a good eye so she was busy clicking away on her iPhone and guiding us to the next stop or the subway with her Google maps.
The main issue these nights was the tourist crowds as it is mid-year break and folks were literally elbowing each other, and me, aside to get the shot they wanted. And tooooo many folks asked me to take their photo. Normally I am happy to do this - in exchange for them allowing me to take their photo with my camera as well. But in this situation I had to say no a few times as leaving my gear was a security risk.



This shot was on the south side. The pavement was wet with rain, which actually helped as it lent a reflection to the cobblestone path and clouds in the sky for the city lights to reflect against. I explained to Annabelle that the pavement was a little blown out so I waited until fast pedestrians washed away some of the highlights with their movement during the 2 sec. exposure. Then I placed Annabelle at the railing - that didn't work. So I moved her over to the tree where the street light would light her face.
In the background is St. Paul's cathedral - which still needs the highlights brought down a little but in the hi-res version it is fine.
Settings: D800, Nikon 16-35 F4 at 35mm, ISO 200, f4.5, 2.5 sec. Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod with Gitzo head. Setup - 15 minutes.
Limited post production. I brought down the highlights a lumen or two, brought up the shadows a little and added a little vibrancy and saturation - all in Aperture 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment