About Me

Wells, BC, Canada
Richard is a working photographer and writer in B.C. His camera focuses on natural history. archeology, travel, and documentary photography. His photography blog may be found at: http://richardtwright.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

How to - Photographing Northern Lights over Wells, B.C.

Night Shooting with the D800

The northern lights were one of the topics of conversation at our neighbourhood Thanksgiving dinner. "Did you see them last night? About 2 a.m."
Well, actually no, I was sound asleep, and, I am not getting up tonight to check.
But coming home after an extended conversation, at 12:30 a.m., there they were, dancing in the sky. Shafts of cosmic light flashing through the sky, grouped around the Big Dipper and the Pole star.
Nope, too tired. Maybe tomorrow.  But when I arrived home I had to change my mind.

Manfrotto tripod, ball head, D800, set to M, 15 sec exposure, wide open on a Nikkor 24mm f2.8. Six shots. Processed with Aperture 3 with only a little vibrancy added and here we are. And in bed by 1:15 a.m..
The D800 never ceases to amaze me with it's night photography capabilities.




If you don't comment or follow I don't know you are here.

www.facebook.com/richardtwrightphotography
Website:http://richardtwright.photoshelter.com/

2 comments:

  1. Greetings from the Yukon
    Love your shots of the aurora. I've recently updated to a d800 from d700 and have had a few challenges photograhing the aurora with the new camera. The shots look fine on the camera but come out dark on computer. Loved my d700 for the aurora, but am dissapointed with 800 - any suggestions
    Thanks, Claus
    Tradewindsphoto.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what to suggest. I just used the settings as mentioned and it looked the same on the screen. You could make sure that you don't have your viewfinder b rightness set too high. I had that issue when shooting in Hong Kong with the first D800. Or maybe your computer screen brightness is off. Sorry for the delay in replying - I have been away.

    ReplyDelete