About Me

Wells, BC, Canada
Richard is a working photographer and writer in B.C. His camera focuses on natural history. archeology, travel, and documentary photography. His photography blog may be found at: http://richardtwright.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wildlife Photography in Canadian Rockies - Take 2

A quick wrap up to my May 9th post. Life has been busy here with photography and other work.
After two days in Jasper, in early April, I headed south on the Icefields Highway, hoping for a change in my luck in searching for wildlife.  On that note my timing was off b ut once again the weather was fantastic for scenics.
An evening shot at Moberly Landing on the Athabasca River in Jasper National Park.
Nikkor 12-24mm F4, D7000, ISO 100, 18mm, f8, 1/160. Richard Wright photo.

My first major stop this day was at Mount Kerkeslin wayside stop. The salt licks on both sides of the highway, particularly those above the river, are particularly good for spotting Mountain Goats.  I have photographed them here in the past, but not this time.  A few old clay castings were left, but no goats.
View from the Kerkeslin Goat Lick wayside stop above the Sunwapta River.
Nikon D7000, Nikkor 12-24mm f4; f11, 1/500. Richard Wright photo.
Heading south I had a brief moment of excitement as I thought I spotted wolf crossing the Sunwapta River. A quick check though my 200-400mm showed it was a coyote, and a long way off - perhaps half a kilometre.  I slipped the Nikkor 1.7 extender on the 200-400mm f4, locked it onto the Manfrotto Carbon Fibre tripod with the Manfrotto 393 gimbal mount and fired off a few shots. Even at this distance he spotted me. With a further 50% crop in Aperture 3 it was a reasonable shot, the kind I call good for a slide show, but not for publication.

Coyote on the Sunwapta. Nikon D7000, Nikkor 200-400mm f4 with 1.7 extender,
 for an effective focal length of 975mm in DX format. Cropped 50%. F8, 1/1000.
Richard Wright photo.

A couple of Canada Geese just upriver from the coyote; same camera, lens and settings.
Richard Wright photo.

A final stop was the Columbia Icefields, interesting at this time of year, early April, for being devoid of visitors and Icefield buses. Imagine being the first person to see this, or photograph it. And who was that?

Columbia Icefields. Nikon D7000, Nikkor 12-24mm, 12mm, ISO 100, f18, 1/1250.
Richard Wright photo.

I made a quick lunch stop at Saskatchewan River Crossing - a most strange restaurant. Actually it was a cafeteria. There was no menu, just photos on the wall with no price or explanation as to what the dishes were. I chose the mystery grilled-chicken Caesar after an explanation of the photos. Sure enough - it was chicken on a bed of lettuce.  The place was full of every book on the National Parks one could imagine (and few you might not imagine), but no tourist information. I had thought of spending the night here, but moved on to Radium in B.C. as I had a conference to attend on Urban Wildlife Interface in Cranbrook and time was wasting. But that is another story.

For more photos from this shoot go to: http://richardtwright.photoshelter.com

2 comments:

  1. Excellent shots and wonderful pictures.

    Math Games

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard, you weasel...you always knew how to take a fantastic photo ...wtg mike c

    ReplyDelete