About Me

Wells, BC, Canada
Richard is a working photographer and writer in B.C. His camera focuses on natural history. archeology, travel, and documentary photography. His photography blog may be found at: http://richardtwright.blogspot.com/

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Barkerville Sled Dogs, Outdoor Photography winner

This last winter, or this winter I guess as there is still snow on the ground here, Thomas Drasdauskis and I spent a day photography the annual Sled Dog Mail Run around Wells and Barkerville. For a short time the light was just right, not too bright, but not clouded over. Thomas had shot this race several times so knew some good locations, including a spot where the mushers raced down a trail across the historic Ballarat mining claim.
I shot a few hundred images that day but my favorite was one I called, "Blue eyes and flying feet."
I recently found out that the image has won the editor Roy Ramsay's assignment for January, "Winter Lifestyle and Sport", in Outdoor Photography Canada, a great quarterly publication. Not a Pulitzer, but then my old editor Jerry MacDonald always used to say, as we neared deadline, "I don't want a Pulitzer - I want 3 columns by 8 inches" or, "I just want 12 inches, now."
Thanks to the editor for choosing my photo, as there were lots of good ones.  If you are interested in photography outdoors pick up a copy of the magazine. It is on most Canadian newstands.




Nikon D7000, Nikkor 7-300mm f4.5-5.6G IF ED lens, f9, ISO 160, 1/320.

As it turned out Thomas shot a similar shot from a few feet away. We both captured the dogs at precisely the same moment, with their feet and tongues in exactly the same position.

Website: http:richardtwright.photoshelter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment