About Me

Wells, BC, Canada
Richard is a working photographer and writer in B.C. His camera focuses on natural history. archeology, travel, and documentary photography. His photography blog may be found at: http://richardtwright.blogspot.com/

Monday, November 28, 2011

Photography on the Cariboo Road



Much of my life is spent traveling a north south axis. I live in Wells, B.C. and work in Barkerville, but several times a year I head south “to the coast” as we say – to Vancouver – for business or to visit friends and family.  It is usually an expensive journey, not just in fuel but also because of all the temptations in a larger metropolis, food, books, entertainment, warmer weather … and camera stores.
This time I left two feet of snow and headed into the banana belt.  This time the food, so far, has included dinner at the Spagetteria in New West with my son, hot chocolate at the VGH, Asian food on Broadway and Vietnamese food on Commercial drive.
Entertainment has included the dress rehearsal of the Vancouver Opera’s Romeo and Juliet – a three-hour extravaganza.
When I stopped at my favorite camera store, Broadway Cameras, and dealt with my favorite sales associate Aaron McFarlane, he asked, “what camera stores do you have in your area”? Well, the answer is slim and none.  In Prince George there is a London Drugs.  That’s it, other than the Internet.
So I hit Broadway Cameras twice, Beau Camera, Point of View cameras and the standby from my old film days, Leo’s Camera on Granville. (More on my purchases in another post.)
The point of this is that usually I am in a bit of a rush to get from Wells to Vancouver, a nine-hour drive, in good weather.  But more recently I have made a conscious effort to slow life down a little.  Photography is a good excuse.  Now I plan two days.  I make a leisurely start rather that trying for 7 a.m. and drive part way. This gives me time to stop for a few photos.

The last time I drove north I stopped just north of Cache Creek for some fall shots of the old Maggie Mine area. Previously I stopped in Yale for a couple of hours to photograph the historic cemetery and chanced on an injured owl who allowed me close enough for a reflection of myself in its eye. This time the weather was such that it was only a couple of horses in fading light and a mountain road at Cache Creek.


I travel with a camera and a lens of choice on my truck’s console and my pack and most other equipment on the passenger seat.  In the back are a couple of tripods, open my mast equipment and a couple of spare cameras, maybe a game camera or a GoPro, and sometimes my 500mm Takumar – an oldie but goody.
This way I am ready to shoot as soon as I can safely pull over.
With Yale and the Maggie Mine I had lots of time so could use whatever lens I wanted.
With the Cache Creek shot I saw the shot as I came around a corner. I had just passed a reaaaaally slow driver so I was reluctant to stop, but the editor on my shoulder said, “remember, slow down, take the shot, you won’t see this again.”
It was just as well. Half an hour ahead the road, in fact all roads, were closed while a snowfall was cleared. We were stuck in Spences Bridge.
Slowdown. Photograph the roses.

This may be the only post for a few days. Tomorrow I am getting a new lens. In my left eye. My shooting eye – the one that is fading.  Then the same for my right eye. Instructions are to do nothing for several days. Not sure how to do that.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words. Glad to see your photos - and look forward to seeing ya again ! Hopefully some day I can take a road trip around that area. I'm sure there are so many beautiful sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous shots, Richard. And as usual, you write with clarity, precision and have such an ability to evoke atmosphere. How do you do it with so few words?

    ReplyDelete